Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Our big fat kosher Christmas

Problem: We didn't properly plan to ahead to make a nice Christmas dinner and therefore didn't have anything in the freezer except for 5 lbs of bacon and a frozen lasagna.

Solution: What restaurants are open on Christmas day when everything else is closed? Jewish Delis.

We decided to have a late lunch and head over to Ben's Kosher Delicatessen for some solid comfort food.  We decided to celebrate and try a little of everything, you know, a smorgasbord.

When we sat down our table had a bowl of giant pickles and a side of coleslaw waiting for us. We didn’t really know what to do with these generous gifts, so we looked around and did as everyone else did. Eat the pickles and ignore the coleslaw.

Delicious pickles

I started with chicken soup with a giant kreplach, which is a ground beef filled dumpling. I am a sucker for chicken soup and this met all my requirements.


We both ordered half of a corned beef sandwich, which was giant. I’m a self-proclaimed sandwich snob, and this sandwich didn’t really do the trick for me. I know a corned beef sandwich at a Jewish deli by nature is supposed to be served dry on rye with a thick schmear of mustard. I just really needed some mayo.  This thing was a little dry. I am not a fan of rye, so I ordered mine on wheat bread. Apparently that is a big faux pas and a bit insulting in a Jewish Deli. Just be lucky I didn't ask for it with American cheese, mayo and a handful of potato chips on top, as I normally would. I guess it’s just not my thing. 


While the soup and sandwich are a standard deli item, we ordered a truly unique appetizer.  The Hush Puppy. I thought a hush puppy was a southern food of fried cornbread balls. Apparently not at Ben's. Picture it: a giant kosher hot dog, which is amazing on it's own, rolled in mashed potatoes and then...deep fried. Similar to the American Pig in a Blanket, but replace that pig with a more kosher animal-- like a puppy.


Is this real life?

As far as great Jewish deli food goes, I think we can find better in New York. But, this was fun way to spend our Christmas and the Hush Puppy scored a 10 in my book.  All in all, we liked it a latke. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Nancy, you missed your calling. Keep up the Blog, informative, yet amusing. I enjoy reading it!

    ReplyDelete