Saturday, July 7, 2012

A taste of N'awlins

I am a self-proclaimed sandwich snob. I could eat sandwiches every day. Every single day for the rest of my life. I love them so much that I follow a blog that reviews a new sandwich in NYC every day. So, when they posted about a cozy little creole joint serving southern favorites,  I all but slammed my laptop shut and bolted out the door. 

It's officially summer in New York and the only thing more unbearable that the relentless humidity is having to go underground to take the subway. That being the case, I have found myself spending more time in Lower Manhattan that normal just to avoid the public transportation situation. Lucky for me, Cheeky's Sandwiches is located on the Lower East Side and is a pleasant 1.5 mile stroll from my apartment. And if I needed anymore convincing to hit the road, I could always remind myself that a trip to the LES means I get the pleasure of walking through China Town to get a front row view of the live toads, snakes, and eels being sold by the pound. But the real treat is the stench of old fish sitting out in 90 degree weather that is sold on the sidewalk markets. Love China Town, really do. 

If I wasn't looking for the address, 35 Orchard Street, I would have definitely missed it. That's such a trend in NYC...not displaying the name of your business on the awning or window. That trend usually implies that the restaurant has a Michelin Star or, at the very least, is shockingly expensive. 

Not at Cheeky's. This little shop, which wasn't much larger than my studio apartment, could hold 10 patrons, tops. It was decorated like some little mom 'n' pop deli that you'd find deep in the bayou. Metal roofing covered the ceilings, seating consisted of a few red bar stools and some matching picnic benches, fresh flowers were placed in old beer bottles, and your meal was served wrapped in white craft paper. 

Cheeky's charming interior
The menu is short and sweet. I always put more faith in a restaurant that has only a handful of items to choose from, but each are dynamite. Nothing scares me more than seeing a menu that goes on and on for pages; just pick one thing and master it. That's exactly what Cheeky's has done. You can choose from a handful of New Orleans inspired sandwiches including a shrimp and oyster po' boy, a seared pork chop and mustard sandwich, or what I had, a fried chicken sandwich on a buttermilk biscuit. There's nothing over $8.50 on the menu, which I think is more than fair for a gourmet sandwich.

The chicken had such a thick breading and was so heavily fried that it would make even Paula Deen blush. The perfectly fried chicken was placed inside the best buttermilk biscuit you've ever had, topped with pickled cole slaw and country gravy. I know what you're thinking, and no, I'm not kidding. It was perhaps the closest thing to heaven that I've ever eaten. I've never been so pleased with a sandwich in all of my sandwich eating days. It had so many of my favorite foods crammed into one little buttermilk biscuit. I wish that I could put into words just how good this sandwich was, but I don't think I can.  



I think I might cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment